Are uploading problems and errors getting you down?
Not to worry, we have a handy list of our top tips to try and get that upload going and your job uploaded as quickly and easily as possible!
Tip #1 Use Google Chrome!
- First and most importantly, remember to Always upload in Google Chrome. It makes the upload process so much smoother and lets you simply drag and drop your catalog and previews into the uploader right from the folder they are in once exported from Lightroom.
- If you don't have Chrome, you can easily download it here!
Tip #2 No Special Characters, letters and numbers only
- So we all know that we like to use the & sign when saving things rather than spell out and. That is normally totally fine! However, that little symbol right there spells big trouble for your upload. If you have used anything other than letters and numbers when you saved your file to export you will get an error message each time you hit "Upload".
- Protip, no need to export your files again, just click once on the file name, wait for a second and click again to rename the catalog and previews. Remove anything & - _ + etc.. or anything that is not a letter or number and then simply click off to save it.
Tip #3 Always Save to the Desktop!
- I most all photographers like to save all work on an external hard drive or cloud storage so you are not taking up valuable hard drive space on your local disk. Once you upload your catalog you are more than welcome to move your catalog, previews, and smart previews to any hard drive or cloud storage of choice. If you try and upload from them, the files with either never land in the uploader or they will never actually upload even if you can see them in the uploader.
- Always save on your desktop then move to a hard drive later.
Tip #4 Don't Zip Anything!
- The Chrome HTML Uploader we use lets you simply drag and drop the catalog, previews, and smart previews into the uploader without zipping! If you have zipped the files it will likely let you know that it is still looking for files because it can not count anything that is contained in the zipped folder.
- If you zipped them and can not remove them from the uploader, just submit a new job form and let us know the old job number you need to be removed by sending a quick email to Mylifeback@shootdotedit.com it will be much quicker than having us remove files for you to upload again.
Tip #5 Add the files again!
- Should you get an error message saying you are missing files and to add more to the finish the upload all you do is simply drag and drop the folder it is asking for more files from ie. preview or smart previews back into the uploader and upload again. It will not upload the files it already has in the system but rather locate the missing files and add other those. Nine times out of ten this takes care of that problem.
- If you entered the incorrect number of images in the job form, your upload will never complete as it will be looking for more images then you are trying to submit. Just submit a new job form and let us know the old job number you need to be removed by sending a quick email to Mylifeback@shootdotedit.com it will be much quicker than having us remove files for you to upload again.
Tip #6 Try a Private Window
- If the files just won't add or upload you can always open a private window and try to upload there. This normally does the trick and lets you upload no problem
- To open the private window on a Mac press Shift+Command+N on a PC press Shift+CTRL+N.
If you find the tips above did not help, send us a message and screenshot if possible and we can help you as soon as possible! You send that message to Mylifeback@shootdotedit.com